Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mexico - Playa Del Carmen


Finally here and it is pretty amazing.

One week in and I feel like I have been here for ever. It really is a wonderful place and the weather is just glorious.
My day starts with an hour run along the beach, and a swim if the sea if it is inviting enough! I am really trying to keep fit, it has nothing to do with the numerous men running without shirts:0)

Desperately trying to switch from salary in the bank to no salary in the bank, i planned to have a quiet first weekend and just find my feet. However, I found myself in a dive shop booking up block dives, in my defense it was cheaper!

So, the first weekend was spent diving in the Cenotes. Cenotes are formed when limestone surfaces collapsed exposing water beneath. They are associated with the rain god Chac. Many amazing Caverns and Caves with stalactites and stalagmites that went on for ever. Cenotes have been discovered half filled with offerings thrown in to appease the God, along side Skeletons of many sacrificial Victims. These offerings are linked to the Mayan people, i´ll tell you more about them later. The day ended, diving is such a social sport, with a few beers and some new friends, hurray!


Ouside the Cenote
Stalactites

Squeezing through the cavern

Playa Del Carmen - a massive tourist resort and a popular choice for romantic weddings on the beach. One of the girls saw five weddings taking place at close intervals along the beach, very romantic! The beaches are nice but completely crammed full of people of all shapes and sizes. There is no shortage of things to do so if you were looking for a relaxing holiday in the sun this would be a good choice.

The Spanish School – this is so much harder than I had imagined. I have had my first week of Spanish lessons and I feel like I can’t yet string a sentence. I am going to be patient with it but I dream that one morning I will just wake up and be fluent. It is such a beautiful language I want to go out and speak it.

It is all very social and there are lots of really great people on the course. I have been taking Latin dance classes, I have to say they are going a lot better than the speaking part. We went to a salsa club and again, I wished I was so much better than I was. It was so much fun but we only had one routine and I soon felt inadequate next to the locals.

There are cooking classes, excursions, and other social events so life at the International House is great.

Must go, I have lots of homework to do………

x




1 comment:

Unknown said...

absobloomin' marvelous! this sounds great and you sound very happy. keep the blogging coming - it really is wonderful to see what you are up to. i've never been to central/south america but if you carry on like this it won't be too long before i plan a trip to see you. completely agree with you about spanish - it's a beautiful language and one i would love to be able to chatter away in. it's a feeling I rarely have about Cantonese, for example.

Here the weather is just picking up and i will be spending a lot of time on the water. in fact, having had flu on and off for about 2 months there is an urgent need to get into shape. So - tomorrow is yoga and then paddling, saturday is paddling then dragon boat, sunday is yoga then big easter lunch (hmmmm) and Monday is Rachel's birthday junk. There might be a swim, apparently.

my sabbatical now not happening (course cancelled - did I tell you?) although this does mean that I will be taking it in September - November instead. so that means we could plan a trip....

take care and keep the updates coming! so good to hear what you're up to

much love

GP x