Saturday, April 19, 2008

Week one in Mahuhal

Just a very quick update

I have the worst hangover, we had our welcome party last night and there are a few sore heads this morning. Valueable lesson learned, don´t drink Tequila that cost 3GPB!!

Life on the ranch is very very basic. It is far more isollated than i had thought but i am really getting into it.

Communal living, mixed sex rooms, no running water, limited electricity, no phones, signals of any type and a vegitarian diet.

We are up at 6 to start out chores. Cleaning, cooking, preping the boats. We dive twice a day, looking at corals and identifying them by their Latin names. I was really chuffed when i got 100% in the exam. This means that i can start with the research and really start to contribute to the expedition.

The diving is amazing. I am really glad that i was allocated coral, it has totally changed diving for me. I have become a coral geek, it really is facinating. The best part is that there is no commercial diving so no tourists. These sites are new and we are collecting the data to ensure that they are preserved in the future, i feel so lucky.

I am really learning a lot about conservation and i think that i will be make different choices in the future. It is amazing how little you actually need to survive. I can wash my hands in less than half a cup of water and can do a top to toe wash with a bucket of water, cold!

We get into town one day a week so i will get some photos and post them next week, with a more detailed description of life in the commune.

signing off to retreat to my cabaƱa for a little lie down

x
Sara

No comments: